Nerf or Removal of Summon Farming

Conus

Jul 22, 2021
Ok I can see where you think you’re coming from. However, those ACTUAL new players that you’re referring to, are the ones selling ores for 5k each :ROFLMAO:, regardless of what ore it is. So no, this argument doesn’t make sense if we’re actually talking about new players. In fact, these players wouldn’t be affected at all by this, as none of the ores in question have ever dropped below the price they do set it at.

As for the “new” players, like those coming from a different server? Come on, you can do better than selling random junk anyway. I don’t think anyone who actually has experience in private servers bother to do this, and is more for just smaller side income. Also, I’ve seen prices much lower than what they are now, as in way prior to when this issue, came to light. Where were you guys to complain about the ore prices back then? Let’s not pretend like the ore prices are of that much importance to you to begin with. Focus on the real issue you have with summon farming.
I can see you do not accept any answers as I literally gave you my issue and proposed solution, so no point in talking with you further.

Reactions: SnoopyTheSheep

ieatuup

Jul 20, 2021
These people are not beneath you. They are not stupid. They know how to check Allison or Andy's Price Guide. They know how to check other rooms and get a gist for server prices.

Give them the respect the deserve as well. These are human beings and their experiences and emotions matter as much as anyone else.
I never said they were beneath me, I am just stating what I've seen from owling myself? What in the world are you talking about?

Scrubbius

Jun 13, 2021
Nobody talking about 8-mage farming strats yet? No nerf to mage farming pls, i need my mesos to buy cheap ws

• Haha
Reactions: ieatuup

ieatuup

Jul 20, 2021
I can see you do not accept any answers as I literally gave you my issue and proposed solution, so no point in talking with you further.
This is the same market fresh new players use to get a jump start on their meso bank.
This is what you said. I have responded stating that actual new players that do not know what to do to make money, will put their ores up for 5k each as they do not know prices. These players will not be affected as a result, as ore prices have never dropped so low. Does this not make sense?

Also I'm not making this up, as I've owled and seen these ores from new players at said prices countless times. Nor am I trying to disrespect them in any way, as somehow that's what Fisherman got from that. Just pointing out what I've seen from owl, and what is likely to continue to happen with real new players, that's all. Therefore, your argument against summon farming doesn't add up.

Last edited:

waiting

Jun 18, 2019
yabe
To readers, for a different perspective on the work-to-reward ratio from another summon farmer: https://forum.dream.ms/threads/skill-changes-for-mages-summon.3560/#post-16652
I am the said summon farmer, and let me share my thoughts on the state of summon farming right now. I never summon farmed with more than 3 clients because I simply used them to sustain being able to pay the "apple tax" while bossing. It is indeed true that it's basically effortless to maintain a small number of summon clients while focusing on bossing with one client. I usually used 2 clients to farm maps with the highest total monetary value, getting anywhere from 15-30m in total per hour there. Additionally, whenever I was in short supply of certain items required for a retarded compulsory repeatable boss prequest, I would use the 3rd client to farm the required drops.

Every player needs meso even if they don't make expensive luxury purchases - for recruit smegas, potions, teleports and maker (if not for apples) which make up the bulk of mesos spent by players who primarily boss. I guess that there are many like me don't care much for having a lot of meso but have to deal with having to earn meso somehow, and see it as an unenjoyable chore. It is really convenient to have the option to summon farm while doing activities I enjoyed ingame. After the droprate nerf, I am now getting around 5-10m per hour (which btw feels to me like a nerf to 30% droprate instead of a nerf by 30% droprate) and I was no longer able to sustain the costs of playing my character with just 3 clients summon farming. I'm not a player who quad mages with sweeper whilst also running 9 bahamut clients at the same time. In fact, I hate mages and playing them, but do so because having multiple mages is a necessity in this server with or without summon farming.

In order to compensate, I reasoned that there were two main choices: either make a few more mages to summon farm with, and also run them whenever I'm bossing; or go back to ulu after a long 3 months or so of not farming there. I checked out ulu and it's not as crowded as 1-2 months ago, since many ulu farmers have probably left/been banned/stopped farming for whatever other reason, and decided to just suck it up and ulu farm to compensate for the summon farm nerf. For reference, I triple maged there ("high effort gameplay" kek) for a few hours and consistently earn 110-120m/h, more than enough to sustain the aforementioned costs.

I personally think that this server is amazing because it has a lot of mechanisms in place that allow players who dislike fma mage farming to still acquire resources required to progress and succeed in game. Yes, a summon farmer like me still has to make multiple mages, and yes, this is virtually zero-time money making once you level your mage to 140s or so, and yes, a summon farmer still has to make mages in the first place. However at least you could press summon on 2 clients, then go back to playing your favourite character and doing your favourite activity, instead of staring at that unenjoyable gearless money machine for hours just so you can buy potions and tp rock. I've convinced many of my friends (who don't enjoy mages either) to make them for the purpose of summon farming, and shown them the spots to summon farm. Now their method of sustaining their consumable costs has been hamstrung, and they're also similarly pigeonholed into farming ulu again.

Also, I think that whoever wants items like dex crystal to be expensive again clearly doesn't understand how massive an amount of ores are needed to utilize maker, or do and just want to gatekeep others from progress (remember the coin nerf saga?) by forcing them to grind many more hours of ulu or farming ores themselves. If the quantities of ores being acquired by summon farmers pre-nerf were large enough to significantly lower the prices, then prices are going to shoot up again because of the nerf. Yeah, some level 65 hermit is going to enjoy selling his 17 dex crystal ores for 90k each instead of 45k because he can buy more unagi but once he's really trying to craft his first top+bottom he's going to also enjoy paying 60m instead of 30m for his advanced dex right? Hopefully he only takes two or three tries on his lampion too and god forbid he makes 9 garbage claws and quits! This isn't going to hurt me too much as I only have one item slot left to craft that uses stat crystals, but I really feel for those still stuck at the early/mid stages of grinding their TL crafts. What about EoF, you guys like paying 4m for an EoF? I'm sure everyone will enjoy this a lot! Does this hurt legitimate non-summon farmers? Not much, imagine if you farm 10 hours of ulu like me and earn 1b, you could buy a whopping 2200 dex ores instead of 1100. Your mesos are literally worth more for the same time investment put in to earn them, so what are you losing? Are you just upset that you wanted to farm dex ore and StevenLim farms them faster than you? Perhaps you could find other more efficient ways to farm and beat him at his own game? So it seems to me that someone opposing cheap items simply wants to gatekeep others from acquiring them or progressing in this game.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care about whether anyone thinks summon farming is healthy or not. I'm simply sharing my thoughts on gameplay as is. I have the means to and will eventually make 5-6 more mages to compensate for the droprate nerfs, and run all these summon farming clients so that I don't have to kill another veetron or slygie again. It's just ironic how I'm going to eventually become one of those massive multi map hoggers out of necessity instead of only taking two channels, which is one of the unresolved problems that has been exacerbated with the summon droprate change. Summon farmers have allegedly been too damaging to the economy and too disruptive to players who like manually farming ores, snowman boss and gold teeth. In exchange we get summon droprate nerfs that hurt the summon farming playstyle, midgame players, non-mage players and players who just dislike playing mages. A classic case of "my playstyle is the only way which should be catered to, even at the expense of many more or all others". Just fantastic.

corgiLove

Jun 13, 2021
I'd like to understand the reasoning/logic from the original poster for these statements on how nerfing/disabling summer farming will results in the below.

• New players will no longer see maps full of player(s) who seem like they are botting
    • Why is this problem? Is this true or an exaggeration? For which maps which new players actually frequent while they are grinding/pqing form lvl 1-120 that become heavy summon farming areas that it becomes a problem where they cannot train?
  • Due to the fact that summon farmers would not be able to farm some items as effectively as before, or at all, there will be more feasible options for making mesos in the game making it more diverse.
    • What makes you think that whiteout summoner farmers, there will be more feasible options for making mesos ? Don't you just lose an option now to utilize your mage/bishop when it is not bossing ?
  • The list of items to farm for regular players increases.
    • ETC items are not dropping from only maps where there are passive summoning farmers. They drop from other maps as well. The list remains the same, there just probably will be fewer. How much fewer would be unknown unless you know the exact % of ETC being posted into FM that came from Mage Farmers with the x3 Macros, summoner farmers, or other.

corgiLove

Jun 13, 2021
I am the said summon farmer, and let me share my thoughts on the state of summon farming right now. I never summon farmed with more than 3 clients because I simply used them to sustain being able to pay the "apple tax" while bossing. It is indeed true that it's basically effortless to maintain a small number of summon clients while focusing on bossing with one client. I usually used 2 clients to farm maps with the highest total monetary value, getting anywhere from 15-30m in total per hour there. Additionally, whenever I was in short supply of certain items required for a retarded compulsory repeatable boss prequest, I would use the 3rd client to farm the required drops.

Every player needs meso even if they don't make expensive luxury purchases - for recruit smegas, potions, teleports and maker (if not for apples) which make up the bulk of mesos spent by players who primarily boss. I guess that there are many like me don't care much for having a lot of meso but have to deal with having to earn meso somehow, and see it as an unenjoyable chore. It is really convenient to have the option to summon farm while doing activities I enjoyed ingame. After the droprate nerf, I am now getting around 5-10m per hour (which btw feels to me like a nerf to 30% droprate instead of a nerf by 30% droprate) and I was no longer able to sustain the costs of playing my character with just 3 clients summon farming. I'm not a player who quad mages with sweeper whilst also running 9 bahamut clients at the same time. In fact, I hate mages and playing them, but do so because having multiple mages is a necessity in this server with or without summon farming.

In order to compensate, I reasoned that there were two main choices: either make a few more mages to summon farm with, and also run them whenever I'm bossing; or go back to ulu after a long 3 months or so of not farming there. I checked out ulu and it's not as crowded as 1-2 months ago, since many ulu farmers have probably left/been banned/stopped farming for whatever other reason, and decided to just suck it up and ulu farm to compensate for the summon farm nerf. For reference, I triple maged there ("high effort gameplay" kek) for a few hours and consistently earn 110-120m/h, more than enough to sustain the aforementioned costs.

I personally think that this server is amazing because it has a lot of mechanisms in place that allow players who dislike fma mage farming to still acquire resources required to progress and succeed in game. Yes, a summon farmer like me still has to make multiple mages, and yes, this is virtually zero-time money making once you level your mage to 140s or so, and yes, a summon farmer still has to make mages in the first place. However at least you could press summon on 2 clients, then go back to playing your favourite character and doing your favourite activity, instead of staring at that unenjoyable gearless money machine for hours just so you can buy potions and tp rock. I've convinced many of my friends (who don't enjoy mages either) to make them for the purpose of summon farming, and shown them the spots to summon farm. Now their method of sustaining their consumable costs has been hamstrung, and they're also similarly pigeonholed into farming ulu again.

Also, I think that whoever wants items like dex crystal to be expensive again clearly doesn't understand how massive an amount of ores are needed to utilize maker, or do and just want to gatekeep others from progress (remember the coin nerf saga?) by forcing them to grind many more hours of ulu or farming ores themselves. If the quantities of ores being acquired by summon farmers pre-nerf were large enough to significantly lower the prices, then prices are going to shoot up again because of the nerf. Yeah, some level 65 hermit is going to enjoy selling his 17 dex crystal ores for 90k each instead of 45k because he can buy more unagi but once he's really trying to craft his first top+bottom he's going to also enjoy paying 60m instead of 30m for his advanced dex right? Hopefully he only takes two or three tries on his lampion too and god forbid he makes 9 garbage claws and quits! This isn't going to hurt me too much as I only have one item slot left to craft that uses stat crystals, but I really feel for those still stuck at the early/mid stages of grinding their TL crafts. What about EoF, you guys like paying 4m for an EoF? I'm sure everyone will enjoy this a lot! Does this hurt legitimate non-summon farmers? Not much, imagine if you farm 10 hours of ulu like me and earn 1b, you could buy a whopping 2200 dex ores instead of 1100. Your mesos are literally worth more for the same time investment put in to earn them, so what are you losing? Are you just upset that you wanted to farm dex ore and StevenLim farms them faster than you? Perhaps you could find other more efficient ways to farm and beat him at his own game? So it seems to me that someone opposing cheap items simply wants to gatekeep others from acquiring them or progressing in this game.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care about whether anyone thinks summon farming is healthy or not. I'm simply sharing my thoughts on gameplay as is. I have the means to and will eventually make 5-6 more mages to compensate for the droprate nerfs, and run all these summon farming clients so that I don't have to kill another veetron or slygie again. It's just ironic how I'm going to eventually become one of those massive multi map hoggers out of necessity instead of only taking two channels, which is one of the unresolved problems that has been exacerbated with the summon droprate change. Summon farmers have allegedly been too damaging to the economy and too disruptive to players who like manually farming ores, snowman boss and gold teeth. In exchange we get summon droprate nerfs that hurt the summon farming playstyle, midgame players, non-mage players and players who just dislike playing mages. A classic case of "my playstyle is the only way which should be catered to, even at the expense of many more or all others". Just fantastic.
For the most part agreed.

Pre nerff, I had utilized one channel for farming for the better part of 1 month until the map was taken over 4/5 channels by a very known summon farmer (cough cough). Its not "hard" mentally like ULU farming, but you also get many times less rewards than ULU farming too, which i think is fair. You are right I'm not spamming GEN macro for the same number of hours, demanding mental and physical attention, but on the other not im not earning 110m+/hour with my 1 channel of summoners. Now post buff, i have more than 1 channel, whether it be because i'm taking advance of the very known summon farmer not being at the map, or also because the nerf and I can now that i have the mages, but i'm still NOT making 110m+/hour.

From what I can tell, my quantities of ETC do not match that of an active 3x mage farmer. I see the prices of the ETCs i am farming also going down. It is what it is and I do not believe its all from summoner farmers. ETCs dont only drop from maps where summon farming is a thing you know...

Dillz

Jul 9, 2021
I'd like to understand the reasoning/logic from the original poster for these statements on how nerfing/disabling summer farming will results in the below.

• New players will no longer see maps full of player(s) who seem like they are botting
    • Why is this problem? Is this true or an exaggeration? For which maps which new players actually frequent while they are grinding/pqing form lvl 1-120 that become heavy summon farming areas that it becomes a problem where they cannot train?
  • Due to the fact that summon farmers would not be able to farm some items as effectively as before, or at all, there will be more feasible options for making mesos in the game making it more diverse.
    • What makes you think that whiteout summoner farmers, there will be more feasible options for making mesos ? Don't you just lose an option now to utilize your mage/bishop when it is not bossing ?
  • The list of items to farm for regular players increases.
    • ETC items are not dropping from only maps where there are passive summoning farmers. They drop from other maps as well. The list remains the same, there just probably will be fewer. How much fewer would be unknown unless you know the exact % of ETC being posted into FM that came from Mage Farmers with the x3 Macros, summoner farmers, or other.
I was really only going to reply to GMs on this, but I'll take the time to clarify on these points for everyone since you've brought it up.

I've spoken to GMs about this topic. This is actually one of the points they have brought up to me and I agreed. With that being said, I'll answer your first question with another question. Think of a scenario like this. You're a new player that has played for around a week and you're exploring/doing zakum prequests or things of the sort. You were to stumble into a map with 3-4 characters standing around with summons out and having just their pets looting things for them. Would you not say it's safe to think "Wow, these guys are botting and nothing is being done about it?" How is that not a problem would be a better question to ask.

As for your question "Is this true or an exaggeration?" It's entirely true. I have PERSONALLY walked into a map and wondered if the player(s) were botting. This has nothing to do with grinding as a new player. I'm hoping you at least understood that.

"What makes you think that whiteout summoner farmers, there will be more feasible options for making mesos ? Don't you just lose an option now to utilize your mage/bishop when it is not bossing ?"
Again, I want to clearify that summon farming IN MODERATION is not a problem what-so-ever. Lowering the amount of clients you can summon farm on is the best solution to this. I actually don't mind the concept, but when it's over saturated it becomes an issue. I know of people who have quit because of summon farmers. One of the ways they enjoyed playing the game was farming the items similar to the summon farmers. After summon farming became a problem, they started feeling demoralized and unmotivated to continue playing the game. The amount of players that have either quit or been demoralized over this issue surpass the amount of players that actually summon farm. Summon farming in a healthier state should allow room for players who farm regularly a chance to actually compete in the FM again.

The other point you made had no question and I don't even see a point in mentioning it. It is almost as if you were trying to miss the point.

TL;DR, summon farming in moderation is fine. I'm sure we can all agree that it is requires little to no effort to summon farm. It's too rewarding for the amount of work put in in it's current state.

Reactions: User2 and Fisherman

iSpiltCurry

Jul 3, 2021
Yay to nerfing summon farming!!! Now I'm forced to go back to ulu just to sustain the mesos needed to purchase tp rocks. Good luck to those farming at ulu, it might just get more crowded in the near future. OH, and since stevenlim is banned, the EOF supply might just sky rock so I should sweep the whole FM off all EOFs and force the price ceiling of it to 5m each. That way, new players will have to pay double the cost to purchase EOFs, but since mesos bag from zak is only 2m-ish, that would mean nzak would be a dead boss, right? At least this will keep the sweat players happy since this might result in lesser coins influx into the server

• Haha
Reactions: Angbak

corgiLove

Jun 13, 2021
I was really only going to reply to GMs on this, but I'll take the time to clarify on these points for everyone since you've brought it up.

I've spoken to GMs about this topic. This is actually one of the points they have brought up to me and I agreed. With that being said, I'll answer your first question with another question. Think of a scenario like this. You're a new player that has played for around a week and you're exploring/doing zakum prequests or things of the sort. You were to stumble into a map with 3-4 characters standing around with summons out and having just their pets looting things for them. Would you not say it's safe to think "Wow, these guys are botting and nothing is being done about it?" How is that not a problem would be a better question to ask.

As for your question "Is this true or an exaggeration?" It's entirely true. I have PERSONALLY walked into a map and wondered if the player(s) were botting. This has nothing to do with grinding as a new player. I'm hoping you at least understood that.
Interesting point of view, yesterday I ran into someone on one of my farming mages. I've met them before on my attacker, but I did not know them very well, but he/she is well established long time player. They like paused for a while. I said Hi. They asked me what I was doing.

Maybe its my experience having played in previous servers where this issue is even worse, but i would not assume someone is botting when i see they have summoners up. I'm pretty sure when i first saw this activity on another server, my 1st response was not "wow this server allows botting, and no one catching". It was "what/how/why they doing this?". But again I'm one of those i summoner farm, but not going to go crazy with 16 clients *Halo*.

I share your sentiment in wondering if some of the farmers are botting. But i'm more curious and sus of someone botting, when i see multiple mages genning repeatedly (hahaha ... ?).

I just feel: overall, further changes to summoners farming specifically, you are hurting the moderate farming players the most, which I think is the majority (?) , in order to punish the few that have the 16 clients up. And I still do not believe, that the reasoning for doing so to even curb the effects of summoner farmers who have 16 clients up is adequate. Nor will it impact the market in the way you intend. As many previous posted have mentioned alot of the etcs are going down due to farmers, whether it be the active ones or the passive summoning farmers.

Pre nerf the 16client summoner farmer had taken 4/5 of the channels of the map i was using. It seems recently this person has been caught farming at atotal unrelated, not passive, not summoner farming map. THIS to me shows, its not only summoner farmers that are impacting the specific ETCs markets.

Fisherman

Aug 1, 2021

Thanks for sharing your perspective and updating it. I've always liked that yours is pretty reasonable.

With this said, the only thing I would really like challenge is the 2nd-to-last paragraph. To begin with, many players would gamble with making advanced ores to sell, then would craft with intermediates, to fund themselves and get their first gear (I knew almost nobody who was crafting with advanceds from the get-go, and I see no reason why they should). This was very common especially in late June and early July. The high costs of advanced crystals offered them a final break out of the lower ends. Likewise, for Eye of Fire, them being 4-5m each would mean that simply completing Zakum Prequests would be a higher payout/profit, especially if they self-farmed the teeth, that additionally allowed people to break out of the mold and get into the mid-tier gameplay that begins bossing progression. I used to have friends who I would farm gold teeth with, they'd finish their Zakum Prequest, and they'd have this big payout that made all the difference in their gameplay -- they could finally afford to 60% their equips for a small enough boost to Green.

I would not deny that there is some comfort and security for people who run a summon farming char, but I think the claimed benefits it offers to people are both very much over-stated, and funneled to the higher end players who benefit from cheap stuff having already broken the threshholds, while yes, harming&preventing the low and mid-tier players from breaking into the top. I do firmly think that if one very-minority playstyle is significantly detrimental to the majority of players (or, in more advanced/aged servers, disproportionately to the much-needed new players), then that playstyle should be pushed against.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnoopyTheSheep

smol

May 23, 2021
Henesys
Wow that was a lot of unrelated muck just to scroll to the comment box.

Yea IMO summon farming is just lite botting. It's a hot take but I said what I said.

Yes, I know the player has to be active and respond. Yes, I know the drop rate is nerfed. Yes, I know that some people like playing this game by opening 12 clients and clicking in a circle to triple macro a map for 5 hours. Fun.

However, there are only 5 farmer maps of the same maps (aside from skele which does have a mini dungeon). Seeing 3 mages in most dead mines makes me roll my eyes right out of their sockets because now I am forced to buy teeth when I could have gotten my own. It leaves no option for players to be self sufficient.

Dillz

Jul 9, 2021
Bumping this. I still believe this issue needs some looking into!

I have also tried summon farming myself at this point and I do believe it most definitely is unhealthy for the game even more than I did before.